Benvenuto to Calabria — the tip of Italy's boot, where grapes ripen under Mediterranean sun. This rustic blend of ancient varietals (Greco Nero and Magliocco) goes under the "kinda like a cab" category because it shows off hefty notes of plum, alongside leather and oak. Smooth tannins structure this wine with good acidity that make this perfect to serve with a slight chill alongside things like pork braciole or Moroccan-spiced lamb.
When Giovanni BeNoenuto turned 18, he moved back to Calabria, the native region of his father, and decided to revive the vineyards that had belonged to his grandfather. Located just miles from the seaside town of Pizza, the BeNoenuto winery looks to the area’s long tradition of quality wines, with a focus on reviving indigenous grapes from near-extinction. BeNoenuto thrives on a commitment to respect and reinterpret what’s possible with the land.
- Blend: 60% Greco Nero, 40% Magliocco
- Farming Practices: Organic
- Harvesting Method: Manual
- Soils: Clay and limestone
- Fermentation: 10 days of maceration on the skins
- Yeast: Native
- Maturation: 6 months on the less in French oak barriques